About the Partnership
The Academic-Practice Partnership between UW Health and the UW−Madison School of Nursing advances excellence in nursing and interprofessional care in Wisconsin and beyond.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Our dynamic partnership shapes emerging knowledge and nurtures collaborative efforts to elevate preparation of a diverse professional nursing workforce. We share a deep commitment to improve health care delivery, as well as a relentless belief in innovation for the common good. The institutions’ nurses, leaders, faculty, and students foster relationships that expand and deepen the partnership, enhancing our ability to act effectively as opportunities arise and realize practical progress.
Ongoing success of this partnership involves joint appointments for experts across both institutions; executive support for research, evidence-based practice, and other projects of mutual benefit; routine forums to discuss issues and exchange ideas; and shared problem-solving.
History of the Partnership
Since its opening in 1924, the University of Wisconsin−Madison School of Nursing has shared a successful and mutually beneficial partnership with UW Health, an integrated health system of the University of Wisconsin−Madison including seven hospitals and more than 80 outpatient sites. Our collaboration spans the education of baccalaureate and graduate student nurses, professional development of new graduates employed at UW Health, advancement of evidence-based practice, and the conduct of clinical research.
The Steering Committee, led by executive nursing leadership from both UW Health and the School of Nursing, exists to facilitate accomplishing the goals of the formalized Academic Practice Partnership. The committee, comprised of representatives from both institutions, meets quarterly to review progress toward meeting goals, discuss and address barriers, recognize and promote successes, and monitor indicators of success.
APP Executive Sponsors
- Linda Scott
- Rudy Jackson
APP Steering Committee
- Laura Ahola
- Élise Arsenault-Knudsen
- Barb Bowers
- Sarah Brzozowski
- Anne Ersig
- Sue Gaard
- Michele Glynn, Co-Chair
- Janet Hastreiter
- Rhonda Hoyer
- Pam McGranahan
- Kristen Panther
- Barbara Pinekenstein
- Rebecca Rankin
- Susan Zahner, Co-Chair
- Meredith Temple, Committee Support
- Increase the number of collaborative scholarly projects between UW Health nurses, School of Nursing faculty, and students (graduate and undergraduate).
- Increase collaboration on research, evidence-based practice, and quality improvement projects.
- Explore and set parameters for shared appointments for UW Health staff and School of Nursing faculty
- Explore the concept of implementing one or more designated units or locations that would provide opportunities for students to learn interprofessional practice, transitional care, and leadership from staff experts
- Enhance communication between School of Nursing and UW Health to strengthen the partnership and tell the story of its impact to external constituents and the community.