New program starting Summer 2018!
If you already have a bachelor’s degree or higher and are interested in making a career change to nursing, this fast-track professional program will take you there. You can earn a BSN in just 12 months.
The proposal to create the program was approved by the UW Board of Regents in late August 2016, and School of Nursing faculty members are finalizing the details.
The Accelerated BSN program plan can be found here.
A demonstration application is now available here.
The details have not been finalized, but we anticipate the following, based on the initial proposal:
- Accelerated pace: Instruction will be intense, with students completing approximately 1 credit a week, for a total of 49 credits over 12 months. This equates to at least 50 hours of in-class, clinical, and out-of-class work each week. It will not be possible for students to work while in the program.
- Tuition: Flat rate of $45,000 for Wisconsin residents (including reciprocity for MN residents), $60,000 for nonresidents. Some financial aid will be available, but federal and state aid is limited for second degrees.
- How many students: ~32 in the first cohort
- Start date: The program begins with the summer term, with a start date in May.
School of Nursing Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in a non-nursing field from an accredited institution, completed by the program start date. Students anticipating spring graduation can apply the prior fall; proof of timely progress is required.
- Admission to UW–Madison as a post-undergraduate degree-seeking student (separate application required)
- Minimum college-level cumulative GPA of 2.75
- Completion of the prerequisites listed below with a grade of C or better in each course and a minimum combined GPA of 2.75.
- The first four prerequisites (science courses) must be completed by the application deadline and within seven years of the program start date. All prerequisites must be complete before the program start date.
- Prerequisite equivalency information is available on the BSN Prerequisite Course Equivalencies page. Prerequisite equivalencies can be requested by submitting the Prerequisite and General Education Course Evaluation Request Form.
- Chemistry (4/5 credits, including lab)
- Microbiology (3 credits)
- Anatomy (3 credits)
- Physiology (5 credits, including lab)
- Psychology (3 credits)
- Sociology (3 credits)
- Human Growth & Development (3 credits)
Note: Anatomy and Physiology may be satisfied by one semester of Anatomy and one semester of Physiology or by A&P I and II. With the latter option, students must complete both courses at the same institution.
UW–Madison General Education Requirements
- Applicants must also complete the following university-wide General Education Requirements. At least two must be completed by the application deadline, and all prerequisites must be completed before the program start date.
- Course equivalencies can be requested by submitting the Prerequisite and General Education Course Evaluation Request Form.
- Communications Part A: Literacy Proficiency
- Quantitative Reasoning Part A: QR Proficiency
- Quantitative Reasoning Part B: Enhanced QR Proficiency
- Ethnic Studies
Note: There is also a Communications Part B requirement; however, it will be satisfied with coursework in the program, so prior completion is not necessary.
An unofficial transfer credit evaluation to check for completion of the nursing prerequisite courses and the university’s General Education Requirements will be completed by the School of Nursing prior to the decision release date. Admission is contingent upon official verification by the UW–Madison Office of Admissions and Recruitment.
Applicants will be required to submit Proof of Enrollment at the time of application for any prerequisites not yet completed. If enrollment has not opened for a particular course, students will be asked to submit a statement of Intent to Register that lists the course, institution, dates of instruction, and enrollment date.
To be considered, you must complete two application forms:
- UW-Madison Application: If the candidate had ever been enrolled at UW-Madison, they are considered reentry applicants, and should complete the reentry application. All other candidates will apply as transfer students, and complete the transfer application.
- Major: Nursing (Accelerated)
- Start term: Spring 2017
- School of Nursing Supplemental Application for the Accelerated BSN Program: Click here to view a demo version of the application. The official application will open on September 1.